MantisBT - VCMI
View Issue Details
0003026VCMIOtherpublic2018-12-03 21:382019-03-01 17:04
josch 
josch 
normalminorN/A
resolvedfixed 
x86DebianBuster
 
0.next 
0003026: New Release?
In the beginning of next year, Debian will freeze all versions in Testing to prepare for the release of Debian Buster. Since vcmi version 0.99 was released more than two years ago, there has been no new vcmi release.

Do you plan to make a new release before the February 2019? If not, then the next Debian Stable release will still only include vcmi 0.99 even though a lot of new features and bug fixes are now in the git repository. The only alternative would be to package a more recent git commit.

I thus seek advice about what would be your preferred way forward. I see the following options:

 1. not make a new vcmi release and keep 0.99 in Debian Buster
 2. not make a new vcmi release but package a version from git (which version?)
 3. make a new vcmi release 0.100 or a 1.0~beta1 or similar

What do you think?
No tags attached.
Issue History
2018-12-03 21:38joschNew Issue
2018-12-04 03:46SXXNote Added: 0007694
2018-12-05 07:41By003Note Added: 0007695
2018-12-05 08:03joschNote Added: 0007696
2018-12-10 08:46By003Note Added: 0007697
2018-12-21 12:04joschNote Added: 0007700
2019-01-27 00:42joschNote Added: 0007708
2019-01-27 01:06AVSNote Added: 0007709
2019-01-27 01:13AVSNote Edited: 0007709bug_revision_view_page.php?bugnote_id=7709#r3549
2019-01-27 02:23AVSNote Added: 0007710
2019-01-27 02:48SXXNote Added: 0007711
2019-01-27 09:44joschNote Added: 0007712
2019-01-27 09:47SXXNote Added: 0007713
2019-01-27 09:56AVSNote Added: 0007714
2019-01-27 09:58AVSNote Added: 0007715
2019-01-27 09:59SXXNote Added: 0007716
2019-01-27 18:53joschNote Added: 0007717
2019-01-29 09:27joschNote Added: 0007718
2019-01-29 09:33SXXNote Added: 0007719
2019-01-29 14:55AVSNote Added: 0007720
2019-01-29 16:29joschNote Added: 0007721
2019-02-01 23:06joschNote Added: 0007722
2019-02-02 01:48AVSNote Added: 0007723
2019-02-02 03:13joschNote Added: 0007724
2019-02-02 03:42AVSNote Added: 0007725
2019-02-02 09:55joschNote Added: 0007726
2019-02-02 14:16AVSNote Edited: 0007723bug_revision_view_page.php?bugnote_id=7723#r3551
2019-02-02 14:16AVSNote Edited: 0007725bug_revision_view_page.php?bugnote_id=7725#r3553
2019-02-03 23:48joschNote Added: 0007727
2019-02-08 09:21AVSNote Added: 0007743
2019-02-08 09:21AVSStatusnew => resolved
2019-02-08 09:21AVSFixed in Version => 0.next
2019-02-08 09:21AVSResolutionopen => fixed
2019-02-08 09:21AVSAssigned To => josch
2019-03-01 17:04joschNote Added: 0007769

Notes
(0007694)
SXX   
2018-12-04 03:46   
I certainly think we might have at least something like 0.99b or something.

I now moved to Vietnam so have more time again and hopefully will be able to do something about it.
(0007695)
By003   
2018-12-05 07:41   
Maybe AI still need to be improved, I have made a list.
1.AI is lack of goals, They often forget to pick up artifacts or visit the banks,they even don't know how to collect resources and use them.
2.AI has a poor defence action. How calm would they stay if their opposites close to their towns? They don't even recruit any troops.
3.AI always have many heroes, but seldom of them have a large troop. They keep their town with many troops in dwellings, I often find there are 5 weeks production of LV7 creatures in their castle..even using resourceful AI mod! However, if their heroes are defeated, at once they will recruit 8 of them!

I think it's still early for releasing 1.0, because there isn't a very stable work, but 1.0 means finished.
(0007696)
josch   
2018-12-05 08:03   
I did not suggest to release a 1.0 version.

I only asked for a release of the current status of vcmi such that the next Debian release would not ship a two-year-old version of vcmi (0.99).

Certainly the state of current git master is much better than it was two years ago so even if AI is still problematic it will be an improvement over 0.99.
(0007697)
By003   
2018-12-10 08:46   
https://wiki.vcmi.eu/Building_bonuses [^]

Could you finish building bonuses in next release version?
(0007700)
josch   
2018-12-21 12:04   
Hi SXX, did you have a chance to ask the other vcmi developers about a possible 0.99b release?

If you don't like to make a new release, I'd need to know whether you'd be okay with me packaging a git snapshot instead.

Thanks!
(0007708)
josch   
2019-01-27 00:42   
Hi all, not much more than a week is left until Debian freezes. What is the stance of the vcmi developers? Should I keep 0.99 in Debian? Should I package a certain git commit? Will there still be a 0.99b release within the next week?
(0007709)
AVS   
2019-01-27 01:06   
(edited on: 2019-01-27 01:13)
@josch Current git develop is much more stable and functional than 0.99. Call it 0.99a :) I doubt we`ll manage to make official release in a week.

(0007710)
AVS   
2019-01-27 02:23   
I`ve synchronized main branches. Now they all points to same revision.
(0007711)
SXX   
2019-01-27 02:48   
@josch btw how many days exactly?
I'd wish to find time to make semi-official builds for other platforms, but as Alex said it's might be not quite possible.
(0007712)
josch   
2019-01-27 09:44   
The soft freeze starts at 2019-02-12. Starting that date, only "small, targeted fixes" may be uploaded. And the upload of a new release would not count as such. Additionally, packages need at least three days to migrate from unstable to testing, so the last day to upload is actually 2019-02-09. And then there is also the new version of fuzzylite 6.0 I'd have to upload together with vcmi.

@AVS: if you say that git develop is much more stable and functional than 0.99, then I would just package a git snapshot of the development branch today.

@SXX: if you manage to make a 0.99a release early enough, then I can just upload that right afterwards.

Would that course of action be okay for everybody?
(0007713)
SXX   
2019-01-27 09:47   
This seems like a good plan.

If there actually a week of time then I could really manage to get enough of free time to package proper release for other platforms too.
(0007714)
AVS   
2019-01-27 09:56   
@josch upload master branch not develop. (master branch updated for you, master=develop right now but this may change at any moment).
(0007715)
AVS   
2019-01-27 09:58   
@SXX you can update release with platform builds after release itself
(0007716)
SXX   
2019-01-27 09:59   
I still really wish to make at least some testing of stability / play-ability before that.
(0007717)
josch   
2019-01-27 18:53   
Okay, I now uploaded fuzzylite 6.0 and am waiting for other members of Debian to approve that upload:

https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/fuzzylite_6.0+dfsg-1.html [^]

After it gets accepted I will upload a snapshot of the vcmi master branch (or of a new release if one appears before then).
(0007718)
josch   
2019-01-29 09:27   
I didn't investigate the issue yet, but did you change something with the rpath during the past two years? The produced binaries don't seem to have the rpath set anymore, so they cannot find libvcmi.so.
(0007719)
SXX   
2019-01-29 09:33   
It's very much possible I could've messed something up when I made build adjustments for macOS.
(0007720)
AVS   
2019-01-29 14:55   
https://github.com/vcmi/vcmi/commit/40af43c46edf21064dfc5db1584bfe91107f7ad1 [^]

Suspicious part: two lines were removed

SET(CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/${CMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR}/vcmi")
SET(CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH TRUE)
(0007721)
josch   
2019-01-29 16:29   
Bingo! I now use the following to successfully configure and build vcmi:

-DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH=/usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)/vcmi -DBIN_DIR=games -DFORCE_BUNDLED_FL=OFF
(0007722)
josch   
2019-02-01 23:06   
I now uploaded the snapshot of the master branch to Debian unstable and thus it will very likely be part of the next Debian stable release. There is still a problem with fuzzylite 6.0 on i386. Is anybody running vcmi on i386 and saw weird AI behavior?

A suggestion: You could also name the next version 0.100 and then after that 0.101, 0.102 and so on. Maybe what stopped you from continuing to do regular releases for over two years was, that you tried making the next release the 1.00 release? But the logical next increment after 0.97, 0.98 and 0.99 is 0.100 and not 1.00.
(0007723)
AVS   
2019-02-02 01:48   
(edited on: 2019-02-02 14:16)
@josch
1) could you please file a more detailed report about fuzzylite 6.0 on i386
2) if current snapshot will be part of the next Debian stable then next release will be 0.100
3) if current snapshot will NOT be part of next Debian stable then next release will be 0.99a (or smth like 0.100~beta1)
4) 1.0 when it come will indicate at least no missing features from original game, there are a few still.

(0007724)
josch   
2019-02-02 03:13   
@AVS
1) will do
2+3) why do you make your versioning dependent on vcmi's inclusion in the next Debian stable?
4) yes, that's what I suspected and it makes sense :)
(0007725)
AVS   
2019-02-02 03:42   
(edited on: 2019-02-02 14:16)
@josch
2+3) It is a special case for this release, because the current release is actually a fix for this issue. Better solution is release 0.100~beta1 "now", and finish release cycle normally (it was 3-4 pre releases usually in past) with 0.100 in a few weeks. Is there any chance that Debian Buster will contain 0.100 (but not 0.99+dfsg+git20190113 or 0.100~beta1) in the end?

(0007726)
josch   
2019-02-02 09:55   
Until 2019-03-12 "small, targeted fixes" are still allowed. If you make a 0.100 release or a 0.100~beta1 release with no big changes compared to 0.99+dfsg+git20190113, then I guess that I could still upload it. ^^

(you writing 1.100~beta1 was probably a typo and you meant 0.100~beta1 actually?)
(0007727)
josch   
2019-02-03 23:48   
1) the fuzzylite problem on i386 turned out to be harmless and was just about slight differences in how floating point computations were rounded: https://github.com/fuzzylite/fuzzylite/issues/89 [^]
(0007743)
AVS   
2019-02-08 09:21   
* Git master snapshot package has been migrated to testing in Debian
* New release process started (see https://github.com/vcmi/vcmi/pull/543 [^])
(0007769)
josch   
2019-03-01 17:04   
Tomorrow is the last day I can do any uploads that will end in the next Debian stable. If nothing is released by then, version 0.99+dfsg+git20190113.f06c8a87-1 will become part of Debian buster. Thanks!